by Ascent Blog
Posted on May 31, 2023
Keeping Kids' Skills Sharp Over Summer Break
By Brian Morris, Marketing and Media Coordinator for Ascent Academies of Utah
Wednesday, May 22, 2023
Summer can be a great time for kids to take a break from the rigors of school and enjoy some fun in the sun. But that doesn’t mean the skills they learned at Ascent Academy this past year need to go on vacation too. Keeping kids’ skills sharp over the summer can help them stay on top of their game when school starts back up again.
Here are some tips for keeping kids’ skills sharp during summer break:
1. Read, read, read. Reading is a great way to keep kids’ minds active and engaged. Encourage your kids to read books that challenge them and keep them interested. Make sure to set aside time each day for reading, and consider offering incentives for reaching reading goals.
2. Practice math. Math is a subject that kids need to practice regularly to stay sharp. Keep up with math skills by having your kids work on math problems or play math-based games. You can also find online resources that offer math practice for kids of all ages.
3. Get creative. Summer is a great time to explore creative outlets like drawing, painting, and writing. Encourage your kids to express themselves creatively and explore their imaginations.
4. Play outside. Being active is important for kids’ physical and mental health. Make sure to get outside and play with your kids, or sign them up for a summer sports league.
5. Take a break. While it’s important to keep kids’ skills sharp over the summer, it’s also important to take breaks and make time for fun. Give your kids a chance to relax and enjoy their summer vacation.
By following these tips, you can help your kids stay sharp over the summer and be ready to hit the ground running when school starts up again.
Ascent Academies of Utah is an award-winning tuition-free public charter school. We have five locations in Utah, Farmington, West Valley, West Jordan, Lehi, and our newest location Saratoga Springs.
For more information or to schedule a tour visit our website at AscentUtah.org